Queen's Gurkha Engineers
36 ENGINEER REGIMENT
QUEEN'S GURKHA ENGINEERS
Gurkhas first became Sappers in October 1948 when 67 Field Squadron Royal Engineers was formed at Kluang, Malaya. The Squadron formed from Gurkha infantrymen who attached to the Royal Engineers. 68 Field Squadron Royal Engineers was raised at Kluang in April 1950.
Later in the same year both Squadrons moved to Hong Kong. The Regimental Headquarters of 50 Field Engineer Regiment Royal Engineers was formed in Hong Kong in June 1951. The Regiment moved to Malaya as the 17th Gurkha Divisional Engineers to support operations then in progress during the Malayan Emergency.
The Regiment was based at Sungei Besi near Kuala Lumpur from 1955 – 1961. The Regiment became part of the Brigade of Gurkhas in September 1955, and by Royal Warrant, on 28 September 1955, its designation was changed to “The Gurkha Engineers” and its own cap badge and insignia were adopted.
Today the two squadrons (69 and 70 Gurkha Field Squadrons) are part of 36 Engineer Regiment and play a key part in operations and tasks around the world.